Hoaxes, Spams & Scams
This section of Cyber Top Cops is no longer maintained and has been replaced by the SHPAMEE Project.
The purpose of this section is not to list every possible hoax, spam or scam e-mail, but to educate users on how to identify them, by looking for certain characteristics and using a little common sense.
The following articles provide some insight into the problems and dangers of e-mail scams, hoaxes and spam and how to avoid them:
- Smelling A Hoax A Mile Away By Using A Little Common Sense: A step-by-step explanation how to identify a hoax.
- Protocol Against Spam: Taking a look at some of the methods used to prevent spam from landing in our inboxes.
- Don't Become A Victim Of Identity Theft: Prevent your identity from being stolen
- Cyber Crime Made Easier Through Impersonality: The reasons why it so easy to commit cyber crime
- The Dangers Of Chain Letters And Petition Lists: These popular e-mails are not as harmless as you my think.
- The Key To Beating Spam: Ways of treating and preventing spam contamination.
The examples listed below should give you a good idea of what the most common hoaxes, spams and scams look like.
Hoaxes and Spams
- Advance Fee Fraud
- Phishing Scams / Web Forgery
- Other Miscellaneous Scams